1 - What are computer viruses?
Any computer software designed to spread from one computer to another and to interfere negatively with the computer operations is called a virus. Viruses are embedded in legitimate software programs to be transmitted, when the program is copied, from one computer to another. Threats to computer security, in the form of a viruses, take different forms. Worms, for example, are viruses that replicate themselves from one computer to another, through the Internet or any other network connection.
2 - What are the signs that a computer is infected by a virus?
Some of the signs, but not all, are
- Computer starting and running very slowly
- Computer stops working (freezes)
- Computer crashes
- Applications starting by themselves
3 - How are computer viruses transmitted?
A computer virus may be transmitted
- through the internet: browsing infected web pages, downloading of infected files, ...
- by means of removable media such as CD's, flash drives, external hard drives,...
- through emails and their attachments
4 - How to protect your computer from viruses?
- Use a reliable antivirus software to protect your computer
- Do not click on untrusted links.
- Do not click on attachments unless you know the source. Attachments have often been used to transmit viruses.
- Make sure your firewall is turned and do not accept access to your computer from the Internet
- Do not download files that you do not trust